Food establishments to be declared

Food establishments mean any building or premises or part thereof or other outdoor or indoor space in which food meant for sale or conveyance is prepared, stored, transported, marketed, served or otherwise handled.  Food premises may also be established in a home under certain conditions.

Food establishments to be declared are:

  • Restaurants, cafes, mass caterers, supermarkets, kiosks, bakeries, manufacturing sites where food of animal origin is not handled, foodstuff storage facilities and transportation vehicles
  • Mobile food premises, such as marquees, containers and mobile sales vehicles
  • Virtual food premises e.g. an agency where foodstuffs are chosen, sold or resold by telephone or internet order without food actually being held by the operating agent.

Starting a food establishment operation, significant changes to an operation or a change of operator should be reported to Environmental Health Care four weeks prior. The operator also has an obligation to notify Environmental Health Care about the ending or interruption of an operation.The operator is responsible for ensuring that the food establishment complies with the requirements of the current food legislation. It is advisable, however, to contact environmental health care already at the design stage of the premises and operation so that we can advise and guide the operator in these areas as well as in the self-monitoring requirements.

Establishments to be approved

Food establishments to be approved are:

  • Food premises dealing with food of animal origin (fish, meat, milk) before retail sale
  • Storage facilities where food of animal origin are stored and delivered from one establishment to another.

If you are planning a plant operation or a change of operation, contact environmental health care. The operation of the plant must not be started or its operation substantially altered without approval from the authority.

Low-risk operations for which no notification is required

The sale or provision of low-risk foodstuffs need not be notified to environmental health care provided the operator is a private person or the activity cannot be considered to be a business. Such activities include, for example, the limited sale or provision of food such as the sale of cakes and biscuits and provision of coffee by private individuals or hobby clubs.