City of Kuopio - Frontpage
Preventing climate change
Kuopio has taken active steps in preventing climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The first Climate Strategy was compiled in 2003, and the Climate Policy Programme was approved in 2009. The programme includes, among others, the following goals:
Greenhouse gas emissions cut by 40 percent of the 1990 level by 2030.
• The city organization cuts its energy consumption by 9 percent of the 2005 level by 2016.
• Reducing greenhouse gas emissions caused by traffic and transport.
• Increasing the share of renewable energy in energy production.
• Identigying and preparing for the impacts of climate change.
• Making citizens aware of the impacts of their choices and actions on energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.