Published 28.2.2020 | updated 8.1.2021
Information about Coronavirus
On this page, you can find updates and instructions on Coronavirus in English.
- How to protect yourself and others from getting the Coronavirus infection?
- What to do if you suspect having an infection?
- The city of Kuopio's Corona help line
- Support for you and your family
- Coronavirus and the city's services
- Authoritative instructions and general information on Coronavirus outbreak
Information on Coronavirus in different languages
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL): Instructions concerning Coronavirus in different languages
The City of Helsinki: Coronavirus information in different languages including general instructions for people in quarantine (contact information for local health centers in Kuopio, please see link below)
The City of Turku: Corona-information for immigrants
If you are presenting respiratory symptoms, testing for the coronavirus is recommended even if you could manage with home care.
During office hours contact your local health center by phone (“Appointment Search”): www.kuopio.fi/en/kiireellinen-hoito-ja-paivystys
Outside office hours, contact the emergency Puijo Hospital (Kuopio University Hospital) by calling 116 117. The emergency services are located in the premises of the Kuopio University Hospital (KUH) at Puijonlaaksontie 2.
Please contact your local health services by phone. You will be advised to stay home and to wait for further instructions. You should not go to a health center so you would not expose others to a possible infection.
You can call the city of Kuopio's Corona help line at 044 704 6700 if you suspect having a coronavirus infection or in other issues concerning the Coronavirus. The help line is open weekdays Mon-Thu from 8am to 3pm, Friday from 8am to 2pm and on weekend Fri-Sun from 8am to 12 noon.
The novel Coronavirus and the current situation raise many questions. In matters regarding support and psychosocial support for you or your family, you can contact the customer service of our social services at 044 718 3930.
The Kuopio shelter also provides support for those experiencing domestic violence or a threat thereof around the clock at 017 183 393.
Latest media releases on coronavirus
- Coronavirus in Kuopio - information about new restrictions and recommendations as of 2 December 2020 (1.12.2020)
- The coronavirus epidemic is currently in an acceleration phase in Kuopio – mask use recommendation expands (4.11.2020)
- The beginning of a new season in early childhood education in Kuopio (20.8.2020)
- Testing for the coronavirus to increase (17.4.2020)
- Customer fees for Early childhood education Apr 14 – May 13, 2020 (2.4.2020)
- Kuopio City Library has extended all loan periods – new due dates start from June 9th (26.3.32020)
- Day care and preschool education services will continue (19.3.2020)
- Emergency legislation has a huge impact on the city´s services (17.3.2020)
- All suspected coronavirus infections will no longer be tested (13.3.2020)
- Changes in the city of Kuopio´s wellbeing- and cultural services due to the coronavirus situation (13.3.2020)
- The city of Kuopio is prepared for the coronavirus in various ways (12.3.2020)
The best way to avoid a coronavirus infection, as well as any virus infection, is to practice regular hand washing and to cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing. Good hand hygiene is crucial for preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with plenty of water and washing liquid or soap, especially before eating.
Also remember to cover your mouth with a disposable tissue when coughing or sneezing. Immediately put the used handkerchief in the rubbish bin. If you don't have a handkerchief, cough or sneeze onto the upper part of the arm of your sweater, not into your hands.
More information on THL’s webpages: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/information-materials
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare monitors the situation regularly and updates the information on the spread of the virus and with instructions for preventing infection. More updates on the coronavirus on THL’s webpages: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates
Measures decided by the Government of Finland: https://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/information-on-coronavirus
Information on travelling: the Ministry for Forreign Affairs in Finland