Updated on 1 June 2021
In its bulletin (1.6.2021, in Finnish), the regional coronavirus steering group Kuopio emphasizes recommendations to wear a mask.
The use of masks is now recommended in the following situations and for the following people:
- On public transport.
- Persons on their way to be tested for the coronavirus, and before the results of the test are available, if there is an urgent need to be outside of the home.
- Travellers arriving in Finland from high-risk areas as they move from their entry point to a place of quarantine or if they have an urgent reason to move outside their home during the quarantine period.
Also at the base level, it is good to wear a mask in situations where avoiding close contact is difficult.
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare’s face mask instructions for the base level: Recommendation on use of face masks for the citizens
A recommendation to work remotely as far as possible is in force. If you are presenting respiratory symptoms, testing for the coronavirus is recommended even if you could manage with home care.
Public events with more than 50 participants are allowed in 18.5.-17.6.2021 by order of the Eastern Finland Regional State Administrative Agency (in Finnish), if safety orders by officials are followed (safety distance, face masks, hand hygiene etc.). Such events include, among others, concerts, theatre shows, festivals, fairs, as well as sporting events, matches and tournaments.
Effects on city services
National and regional guidelines have various effects on the City of Kuopio services.
- Schools and upper secondary education
- Youth centres
- Elderly and disabled resident services and hobby activities
- Sports facilities and exercise classes
- Community College
- Music Centre and the city orchestra
- City theatre
- Community Houses
A face mask recommendation for both teachers and pupils is at the moment in force in Kuopio middle schools (elementary grades six to nine) and upper secondary schools. High school students with limited means can get their masks from the city’s distribution points. Middle school students will be provided with the masks by the city of Kuopio from their own school.
Youth services premises will observe all Regional State Administrative Agency and Institute for Health and Welfare instructions to control the coronavirus epidemic. Gatherings and hobbies in youth centres are safe and face masks are provided.
The elderly, the disabled and other at increased risk from the coronavirus should avoid any possibility of exposure, as they are more vulnerable to severe illness.
The city recommends, in particular, that all hobby activities for at-risk groups observe safety arrangements to let participants avoid close contact. In addition, as far as at-risk groups are concerned, the organizers of the hobby activity should take stock of whether the hobby poses an elevated risk of infection. If so, it is recommended to suspend the activity or to make additional arrangements as far as premises, group sizes, and distancing are concerned.
In the visitation health safety traffic light model introduced in the housing units of the Social and Health Services of the City of Kuopio, you can find useful tips for to curb the spread of the coronavirus and to protect one another from infection.
Where sports are concerned, the use of a face mask is recommended:
- In public spaces and public events where close contact cannot be avoided
- In outdoor tournaments and events that attract large crowds
- When spectating sports from stands
- When in public spaces or dressing rooms in sporting premises
Those visiting the Kuntolaakso swimming pool are further instructed as follows:
- If you are sick, remain home, the swimming pool is off limits even with minor symptoms and two days after they have subsided. If you fall ill in the middle of a swimming pool visit, go home immediately. You should inform staff of your illness.
- Enjoy swimming alone or with those you live with but keep a safe distance from other visitors and staff throughout your visit.
- Follow the normal washing instructions posted in the building and observe good hand hygiene, particularly in the toilets and before entering the pool area.
- The public hair dryers are not in use, nor is the use of your own dryer recommended.
- The staff will instruct you further if necessary. Please follow staff instructions and remember safe distancing also when approaching them.
- In Kuntolaakso, we recommend avoiding visits Mon–Fri 6 am to 8 am, allowing those at risk safe use of the pool at that time.
There is an additional set of general coronavirus instructions for sporting premises users.
City of Kuopio exercise classes will continue until the end of the season. Customer safety will be guaranteed by observing official recommendations. A face mask recommendation remains in force, especially when entering and exiting sporting premises. Safe distancing should also be observed and the premises only entered when healthy. Good hand and coughing hygiene should be observed.
The current guidelines do not impact the basic functions of the Kuopio City Library. Libraries continue to offer normal basic services while observing Institute of Health and Warfare recommendations. Events in the library will be limited and mainly conducted online.
The use of a face mask is recommended while in library premises.
See more about library safety.
Limitations on public gatherings do not impact the basic functions of the museums. The museums continue to offer normal basic services while observing Institute of Health and Warfare recommendations. However, no events may be arranged in the museums, nor will customer groups of over 10 people be received.
Use of a face mask is recommended when in the museum premises. Museums take precautions, including: limiting customer numbers if necessary, enhancing cleaning, avoiding unnecessary personal contact, observing protective measures, not organizing events, classes, or guided tours, and not offering café or cantina services until further notice.
The limitations do not impact the operation of the Kuopio Community College at this stage. However, many courses are taught now online.
Community college events (concerts, exhibitions, dance and theatre shows) can only have a maximum of 20 customers present at once. The events will, whenever possible, be streamed online or recorded for later online distribution.
The Kuopio Symphony Orchestra has cancelled its program in the Kuopio Music Centre until 22.5.2021.
The Kuopio City Theatre will cancel all shows in spring 2021.
Kino Kuvakukko will limit showings to a maximum of 50 viewers.
In Kino Mantu, the maximum allowed number of viewers is also 50.
The Ministry of Education and Culture and Institute of Health and Welfare instructions will be observed to ensure customer safety.
The City of Kuopio Community Houses are open. Gathering size limits will be followed.
See more: www.kuopio.fi/asukastuvat