City of Kuopio - Frontpage
For right-of-occupancy apartments, tenants pay 10-15% of the value of the apartment at the point of occupancy. On top of this, tenants pay a monthly maintenance charge for the apartment.
Right-of-occupancy is an alternative to owning or renting your apartment. In addition to the approximately 1,000 existing right-of-occupancy apartments, Kuopio is planning to build more in the near future.
This is how you apply for a right-of-occupancy apartment in Kuopio
- File a right-of-occupancy application at the Kuopio City Housing Office. You will be allocated a number verifying your registration.
- After getting the registration number contact the companies providing right-of-occupancy apartments.
- Inform the builders or planners by a specific deadline of your interest in the apartment that is being or will be constructed. Applications are considered on a case by case basis and in the case of more than one application being made for the same apartment, the application with the smallest registration number will be given priority.
- The right-of-occupancy payment is 10-15% of the purchase price. Index adjustment will be made to the right-of-occupancy payments that are refunded when the apartment is vacated.
- Rights-of-occupancy for already existing apartments are sold without any application period.
Right-of-occupancy apartment conditions
- The applicant must be over the age of 18.
- Persons under the age of 55 may not apply for a right-of-occupancy apartment if they have an owner-occupied dwelling in a habitable condition in the same area or enough personal wealth to buy one. If you are an owner-occupier and in debt, you may apply for a right-of-occupancy apartment.
- An asset statement is required at the stage when the right-of-occupancy is offered for sale.
Kuopio has a lot of owner-occuped properties for sale. They can be checked regionally and by house type e.g. on the following Internet sites:
Also, several estate agencies in Kuopio assist with the buying of apartments.