Current information about the City of Kuopio's interests. What does Kuopio need and what does it offer.
Kuopio City’s vision for 2030 is to be the Capital of Good Life, reflecting health, vitality, and happiness. Kuopio is safe, unique, and inspiring. It offers a good environment for living and working.
- Sustainably and steadily growing city with 123,000 residents (at the end of 2022, 122,590)
- 250,000 residents in a cohesive commuting area
- For the third consecutive year, Kuopio is the second most attractive city in Finland, just behind Tampere (T-Media study)
- Resident satisfaction is at a high level, and Kuopio is a desired destination for relocation. In 2022, over 1,400 new housing units were completed in Kuopio.
- The elements of a good life are well established in Kuopio; factors related to quality of life, work-life balance, culture, environment, and community.
- Kuopio has participated in a national employment experiment and is preparing for TE Services reform. At the end of May, the unemployment rate was 9.4%, with 5,503 unemployed job seekers.
- Kuopio emphasizes partnership collaboration to strengthen vitality.
Kuopio must keep up with the development of other Finnish cities and regions and ensure the attractiveness and development of its area. The most significant action from the city’s interests perspective is improving transportation connections to ensure the city’s positive development. The city’s accessibility benefits the entire economic development of Northern Savonia. Kuopio has a MAL agreement (land use, housing, and transportation agreement) with the Ministry of the Environment and an innovation ecosystem agreement with the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, with a focus on health and water expertise.
As a major Finnish university city and a driver of growth and attractiveness in Eastern Finland, Kuopio makes a significant contribution to both Finland’s and broader development. Kuopio is a capable and internationally significant university city, where the foundation of sustainable growth lies in business renewal and job growth. Research, development, and innovation activities closely aligned with companies and workplaces are strong in Kuopio.
International House Kuopio enhances the international services of City of Kuopio
City of Kuopio employment service unit starts a new guidance and counselling service that is intended especially for internationals living in or planning to move to Kuopio. The service aims […]
Kuopio has all you need to make life taste good
Kuopio attracts large numbers of tourists, relocating businesses and new residents. The city has an exceptionally high pull factor, the second highest in Finland. What has driven the success story […]
- 08.12.2022: C21 kaupunkien kaupunginjohtajien hallitusohjelmatavoitteet: Kestävä tulevaisuus luodaan kaupungeissa
- 02.11.2022: Jyväskylän, Kuopion ja Lahden kaupunkien kannanotto TE-uudistuksen lapiviennin onnistumiseksi
- 13.10.2022: Jyväskylän, Kuopion ja Lahden MAL-kaupunkiseutujen kannanotto valtion tuetun asuntokannan kehittämiseksi
- 30.09.2022: Pohjois-Savon elinkeinoelämän edustajat: Yhtenäinen ja tasapuolinen itäisen Suomen kehittäminen on koko Suomen etu
- 02.05.2022: Kuopion kaupungin lausunto: Valtion väyläverkoston investointiohjelma vuosille 2023-2030
- 18.02.2022: C21-kaupunginjohtajat: TE-uudistuksen rahoitusmallin ongelmat korjattava
Total investments in urban development projects
From the city centre to the airport
The most lively city centre in Finland