City of Kuopio - Frontpage
Between Brahenkatu and Kuopionlahti the existing park is named after Count Pietari Brahe, who founded old Kuopio in 1653. Even though the park’s name is referred to in the city’s oldest history, Brahenpuisto is one of the youngest parks in the inner city. Brahenpuisto is a popular family park in the centre for visiting and for playgrounds in both summer and winter.
Nowadays, the park is known as the Pikku Kakkonen Park.
Hapelähteenpuisto, in the north eastern corner of the city, as situated on the city grid plan, is a 3 hectare park where you can relax and exercise as well as enjoy the abundance of flowers and the scent of roses.
In spring, there is a host of differently coloured flowering bulbs and apple tree blossoms and, at the beginning of summer, swarms of butterflies flutter around collecting the pollen of ligularia flowers. Entrance to the park is free.
Minna Canthin puisto
The tiny brook, Maljapuro, runs along the edge of Minna Canth park, which is named after Minna Canth's statue carved by Eemil Halonen. The stream and water feature is surrounded by the park which is named after Minna Canth, where her statue carved by Eemil Halonen stands.
The park is characterised by symmetry and a variety of flower beds, with flowers blooming in turn i.e. primroses, lilies, bleeding hearts, blazing stars and September phloxes.
A square marked out on old maps called Hallitusvuori was made into a park after the completion of the council building on the south side in the mid 1880s. The name suggests the park has been located on the western edge of the bishop's house early during the first of the Diocese of Kuopio. In the park there is a memorial stone showing the locations of previous Kuopio churches and their related cemeteries in the area.
Piispanpuisto is a typical, turn of the century, tree-dominated heritage park.
When approaching the waterfront, the Harbour Park leads to its old harbour buildings. The old harbour square was set out as a park in the 1930's and follows the symmetry of parks designed by Bengt Schalin.
Symmetry is highlighted by a planted, low-edged central corridor, which at the same time, is a part of the single view from the church hill to the harbour.
Snellman Park is the oldest park in the city. It was set out as a park in the 1850’s when the market place was moved from the Kustaantori, Suurtori and Kirkkotori locations to its present position. The first trees in Kirkkopuisto, the church park, were aspens which were then partly replaced with birches and finally supplemented with many other species of trees.
The park was named Snellman Park after the carving of J.V. Snellman's bust was unveiled on July 3, 1866. The park has been chosen as the most beautiful in Kuopio due to its landscaping. Every summer there are about 10,000 summer flowers to the delight of enthusiasts.
The park is a good example of the garden culture of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Many travellers have found a peaceful retreat from the midst of the city's hustle near the flowing fountain and magnificent flower beds.
Valkeisenpuisto, with its surroundings, forms some 9 ha hectare of varied green area, with its centre of Valkeisenlampi.
In the park, you can enjoy varying vegetation, which can also be used for ideas when planning your own garden area. Some of the plant species also have name tags or variety charts attached.
Valkeisenpuisto also belongs to the Geological Research Centre and the geological database relating to rock databases and their origin.
Extensive lawn areas and a comprehensive park bench network provide opportunities to stop for a picnic or rest and admire the urban nature beauty.
A playground, multi-activity field, artificial grass surface games pitch and other activity areas allow for recreation.
From the sandy beach you can go swimming and on the beach volleyball pitch and surrounding lawns can enjoy the relaxing outdoors.
Valkeisenlampi is a free fishing area
The green park of Valkeisenpuisto includes Niirala Transport Park and the small Niirala Alpine Ridge.